Tour Guide Training
Savannah Guides Field Schools
So much fun you’ll forget how much you’re actually learning.
Savannah Guides Field Schools are our primary professional development opportunity. Much more than just a workshop, our field schools are immersive nature-based experiences with something to suit all learning styles.
Savannah Guides Field Schools are our workshops, bringing together tour guides, operators, Traditional Owners, National Parks Rangers, tourism and government representatives, researchers and other like-minded individuals. At least two Savannah Guides Field Schools are held each year at varying locations across the savannahs, featuring experts in fields such as ecology, traditional culture, land management, guiding techniques and tourism. They are usually four days in length with many activities in the field. We have an affordable registration fee plus accommodation and camping options to suit all participants.
Our Next Field School will be held 28-31 October 2021 between Normanton and Mount Surprise, Queensland. Details of this COVID Safe Event are below:
Details of this COVID Safe Event will be published here and sent via Savannah Guides e-news in September.
To keep up to date with upcoming Savannah Guides Schools and Workshops please subscribe to our newsletter. You can unsubscribe at any time.
EcoGuide Certification is a national program, recognising Tour Guides and Rangers who deliver an authentic, environmentally responsible and professional experience. The program is owned by Ecotourism Australia and operated in Australia by Savannah Guides.
EcoGuide provides a professional development framework for Tour Operators, Protected Area Managers and accredited training deliverers. Ask how EcoGuide and associated training can create motivating structure for your organisation.
- A recognised industry qualification and competitive edge in the tourism market
- Practical guidance to implement sustainable practices and more meaningful experiences
- Tourism industry recognition of quality ecotourism guiding, including on Ecotourism Australia’s website, Ecobytes newsletter and Savannah Guides newsletter and social media
- Certificate and use of an internationally recognised logo on your marketing material
- Networking and professional development opportunities with over 500 nature based guides and operators
- 25% discount to the annual Global ECO Conference
- Friends of Savannah Guides Membership and event discounts
- Free listing on Ecotourism Australia’s Find an EcoGuide webpage
- Providing a process and benchmark for training in an accessible, recognised program
- Individuals or groups can train together. Savannah Guides can deliver training and assessment workshops at your venue or by videoconference
- EcoGuide as a potential employment or loyalty incentive for staff
- Marketing edge promoting your EcoGuides
- Bonus points in EcoCertification applications
- Discounts for 5 or more applicants
- Generic Guiding Skills including knowledge of the tourism industry; roles and responsibilities of a guide; communication skills; safety and risk management; group management; developing and delivering tour activities; and content knowledge.
- EcoGuide Specific Skills including minimal impact principles; a commitment to ongoing professional development and respecting Indigenous culture.
- Have at least 12 months guiding experience, OR
- Hold a guiding qualification (e.g. Certificate III or IV in Guiding) and have a minimum of 3 months full time guiding experience
- Complete the EcoGuide Application Form and email it to Savannah Guides (firstname.lastname@example.org). You can return the form (printed, completed and scanned) or simply include the required details in an email. Application Fee $130.
- Savannah Guides will email your receipt and editable PDF EcoGuide Workbook. You have 12 months to complete your application.
- Submit your completed EcoGuide Workbook for assessment, along with your resume and current First Aid/CPR Certificate. Incomplete applications may be submitted a second time.
- Complete your Guiding Assessment with an EcoGuide Assessor that we will help you arrange. This can be in person, which may have an additional cost to cover Assessor expenses, or using video or other technology. You must submit your Activity Plan and demonstrate competency in leading a tour group, presentation techniques and minimal impact guiding.
- Congratulations! On receipt of your $99 annual fee you will receive your EcoGuide Certificate and badge and access all other benefits.
Guiding in the Wet Tropics
Join Tour Guides, Indigenous Rangers, Visitor Information Centre staff, researchers, and community members in the Wet Tropics Tour Guide Program. Everyone is welcome to undertake certification or just come and enjoy our activities.
The Wet Tropics Tour Guide Program was created in 2012 by the Wet Tropics Management Authority, Savannah Guides and other partners to support ongoing learning and enhance visitor experiences. The Program offers great networking, information and skill sharing opportunities, and builds awareness of the Natural and Cultural Values of the Wet Tropics World Heritage Area and how to present these as Tour Commentaries and Stories.
To receive your certificate and badge acknowledging you as a Wet Tropics Tour Guide you must:
- Participate in one full Wet Tropics Tour Guide Field School These are two days long and held generally twice each year in various Wet Tropics locations.
- Complete the Certification Manual building knowledge in the Natural and Cultural Values of the Wet Tropics World Heritage Area and Presentation Skills.
- Pass a Guiding Field Assessment, usually a 30 minute walk.
These can be undertaken in any order.
The COVID-19 Virus has resulted in the postponement of Wet Tropics Workshops and Field Schools for now. We will advise on this page and through our newsletter when we are able to schedule our next Field School.
Meanwhile please access some valuable resources here:
And join the Wet Tropics Tour Guide Network Facebook page.
Wet Tropics Ambassador Program
Become a Wet Tropics Ambassador – a storyteller and protector of our World Heritage-listed Wet Tropics! Simply join a fun, two-hour workshop and successfully complete a short quiz about the Wet Tropics!
The key topics included in the workshop are:
- About World Heritage
- Why is the Wet Tropics so special?
- The people of the Wet Tropics
- Experiencing the Wet Tropics—what to look for!
Participants receive a handout with the most important facts about the Wet Tropics, and your Ambassador Certificate on successful completion!
The Ambassador Program is delivered in group workshops which can be face-to-face or via Zoom.
Everyone is welcome to become a Wet Tropics Ambassador!
Contact Savannah Guides for more information on holding a Wet Tropics Ambassador Workshop for your tourism staff, students, visitors or nature lovers.
If you are joining a Zoom Ambassador Workshop, please download or print the Wet Tropics Ambassador Handout here. This contains the most important facts about the Wet Tropics. We will email your digital Wet Tropics Ambassador Certificate on successful workshop completion!
One registration per computer / device is sufficient. Multiple people can utilise the handout download and later the Certificate from the same email, and view the workshop on the same device (subject to COVID-19 safety requirements).
We’ll have some more Ambassador Workshops scheduled for 2021. Please check here or email email@example.com to be notified once dates are set.
Cultural Awareness Training
Savannah Guides offers anyone the opportunity to join our cohort studying the Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies (AIATSIS) Online Cultural Awareness Course.
Exploring Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture, history and society will enhance your cultural understanding, fostering a deeper sense of self-awareness and critical reflection, and enhancing your personal and professional capacity to engage respectfully, and effectively, with others in intercultural contexts.
Courses are available from May, 2021.
Anywhere! This is an online course, which you can complete at your own pace.
Each Module takes around an hour to complete.
- Module 0 Introduction
- Module 1 Thinking about Cultures and Identities
- Module 2 My Country, Our Country
- Module 3 History Lives in Us
- Module 4 Too Much and Not Enough Change: Commonwealth Indigenous Affairs
- Module 5 Communities in Control: Recognising the Role of Community Organisations
- Module 6 Recognising Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People’s Rights to Country
- Module 7 Self-determination and Autonomy
- Module 8 Engaging with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Communities
- Module 9 Helping to Build and Inspire the Australian Nation
- Module 10 Continuing Your Journey
$110 per person.
Upskill in Africa
Spend a month in South Africa sampling tour guide training on a private game reserve with Ulovane Environmental Training, a leading South African Tour Guide Training provider. This stimulating professional development is in a magical setting with opportunities to learn a wealth of new concepts and share ideas with a group of South African and international students. You’ll enjoy all of the field trips, wildlife, tracking exercises, reference books and collegiate atmosphere without the pressure of assessments! Just soak in the magic of Africa and get behind the scenes with local experts.
The program is open to anyone and is priced to encourage as many Australian tour guides and like-minded travellers as possible to join.
This life changing experience is a special package available only through Savannah Guides.
Find out more information here: 2020 Ulovane Enquiry Information
Please contact Savannah Guides to take up this fantastic offer.