We are located only 10kms from the magnificent Boodjamulla national park and 50kms from the World Heritage listed fossil fields.
The property now known as Adels Grove, located adjacent to Lawn Hill National Park and close to the World Heritage listed Riversleigh Fossil deposits, was originally gazetted in 1904 as a Miners Homestead Lease.
In 1920 Albert de Lestang took up the property as an experimental Botanical Garden (hence the name “Adel” arose from Albert’s initials).
Albert planted many species of trees and shrubs and supplied the Botanical Gardens of the world with the seeds produced by his nursery. The Botanical Gardens in Brisbane still has 536 different samples of seeds sent to them by Albert, held in their collection.
In the early 1950′s a fire swept through the grove while Albert was absent (some say deliberately lit) destroying everything including his dwelling and trunk containing all of his research papers.
Albert’s last years were spent in a Charters Towers nursing home, were he died in 1959 at the age of 75, most probably broken hearted.
- Swimming: Adel’s Grove is located alongside Lawn Hill Creek downstream from Lawn Hill Gorge. This creek is a perennial, clear and spring fed waterway and many thousands of visitors have enjoyed swimming in its waters over the years.
- Canoeing: Canoes are available for hire both here at Adel’s Grove and at Lawn Hill Gorge. No fast water and a delightful alternative way of viewing the gorge or creek. Canoes are hired on the basis of first come, first served.
- Fishing: Recreational Fishers will enjoy wetting a line to try their skills against the likes of Barramundi, Bream, Grunters, Perch, Cod, Catfish and more.
- Walks: We have a couple of excellent short walks in the immediate vicinity of Adel’s Grove and there are a further 20 kilometres of walks within the National Park. Adel’s Grove offers a quite different environment to that of the Park due to the planting of many exotic tree species here by a French Botanist in the 1930′s.
- Bird Watching: We have the advantage in this area of several entirely different environments in contact or in close proximity to each other. Our savannah woodlands, open savannah plains, lush riverine remnant rainforest and rocky spinifex escarpments all support a wide variety of bird species. Bird lists available.
- Tours: We offer a variety of tours including a Harry’s Hill Sunset Tour and half day tours to MMG’s Century Zinc Mine, the Riversleigh Fossil Fields, Boodjamulla/ Lawn Hill National Park and the breathtaking Escarpment of the Constance Range.
Facilities & Services
Bar and Restaurant. Meet some new friends whilst enjoying a cold drink and a meal.
We have two sections in the compound:
This beautiful shaded area was once the botanical gardens and is down by the river in an open plan area. There are no designated sites, find a spot you like on arrival. There are fireplaces and communal taps with a short walk to the camp kitchen and to the amenities. Dogs and generators are not permitted in the Grove.
Individual Sites – Top Camp
We have over 50 individual sites for caravans and camper trailers or tents each with a fireplace and a tap for water. These sites are ideal for those with fixed solar panels and selected sites are reserved for those travellers with dogs as well as those with generators. Please notify us if you have pets and or generators.
Accommodation we have air-conditioned rooms and pre-erected safari tents available. You can choose from Accommodation only or a package of Dinner Bed and Breakfast. Linen is included and you can book online from our website.
Fuel Diesel and unleaded petrol are available by bowser. Refills of LP gas are available but only to cylinders with a current date. Aircraft fuel is available in a 10,000 tank by bowser.
Shop We stock ice, cold drinks, frozen bread and some confectionery, tinned foods, long life milk and a limited number of other basic supplies. We also carry some souvenir items. A public telephone is situated near the shop and phone cards are available for purchase. We accept Visa, MasterCard and Bankcard. EFTPOS facilities are also available. Fees apply
Repairs We offer emergency tyre repairs as well as emergency welding repairs.
Airstrip Permission is required to land, please email us or phone for further details.
Co-ordinates 18°42′ South, 138°32′ East (WAC 3220)
Location: 10 Nautical Miles South West of the airstrip shown at Lawn Hill Station
Length 1130 Meters
Height 429 ft ASL
Roads All roads in this immediate area are either dirt or gravel and conditions can change rapidly week by week depending upon weather and/or traffic density. Between May and October these roads are generally suitable for conventional vehicles towing vans but care needs to be exercised since there will still be somerough patches. Our ‘wet season’ normally occurs during the months of January, February and March with some storm activity in November, December and April. 4WD is advised at these times. We also advise checking with us on conditions before entering this area during these months.