EcoGuide Certification is a national program, recognising Tour Guides and Rangers who deliver an authentic, environmentally responsible and professional experience. The program is owned by Ecotourism Australia and operated in Australia by Savannah Guides.
EcoGuide provides a professional development framework for Tour Operators, Protected Area Managers and accredited training deliverers. Ask how EcoGuide and associated training can create motivating structure for your organisation.
EcoGuide benefits for individuals include:
- A recognised industry qualification and competitive edge in the tourism market
- Practical guidance to implement sustainable practices and more meaningful experiences
- Tourism industry recognition of quality ecotourism guiding, including on Ecotourism Australia’s website, Ecobytes newsletter and Savannah Guides newsletter and social media
- Certificate and use of an internationally recognised logo on your marketing material
- Networking and professional development opportunities with over 500 nature based guides and operators
- 25% discount to the annual Global ECO Conference
- Friends of Savannah Guides Membership and event discounts
- Free listing on Ecotourism Australia’s Find an EcoGuide webpage
Benefits for Tour Operators and Protected Area Managers adopting EcoGuide for their interpreters include:
- Providing a process and benchmark for training in an accessible, recognised program
- Individuals or groups can train together. Savannah Guides can deliver training and assessment workshops at your venue or by videoconference
- EcoGuide as a potential employment or loyalty incentive for staff
- Marketing edge promoting your EcoGuides
- Bonus points in EcoCertification applications
- Discounts for 5 or more applicants
The EcoGuide Certification process includes assessing:
- Generic Guiding Skills including knowledge of the tourism industry; roles and responsibilities of a guide; communication skills; safety and risk management; group management; developing and delivering tour activities; and content knowledge.
- EcoGuide Specific Skills including minimal impact principles; a commitment to ongoing professional development and respecting Indigenous culture.
To be eligible for EcoGuide Certification you must:
- Have at least 12 months guiding experience, OR
- Hold a guiding qualification (e.g. Certificate III or IV in Guiding) and have a minimum of 3 months full time guiding experience
To become an EcoGuide:
- Complete the EcoGuide Application Form and email it to Savannah Guides (email@example.com). You can return the form (printed, completed and scanned) or simply include the required details in an email. Application Fee $130.
- Savannah Guides will email your receipt and editable PDF EcoGuide Workbook. You have 12 months to complete your application.
- Submit your completed EcoGuide Workbook for assessment, along with your resume and current First Aid/CPR Certificate. Incomplete applications may be submitted a second time.
- Complete your Guiding Assessment with an EcoGuide Assessor that we will help you arrange. This can be in person, which may have an additional cost to cover Assessor expenses, or using video or other technology. You must submit your Activity Plan and demonstrate competency in leading a tour group, presentation techniques and minimal impact guiding.
- Congratulations! On receipt of your $99 annual fee you will receive your EcoGuide Certificate and badge and access all other benefits.
Contact us now to find out more or start your EcoGuide Certification. We’ll provide support along the way to help you join Australia’s EcoGuides.