Torrential wet seasons spilled torrents of water through the narrow joints, carving out deep gorges leaving permanent water holes overlooked by spectacular cliffs. A perfect blend of vegetation now grows amongst the oasis, forming a habitat for abundant bird and wild life.
An incredible silence seems to settle as the flat bottomed, battery powered punt glides through Cobbold Gorge. Majestic sandstone cliffs tower on both sides and the world becomes a fascinating shadowed place as you enter the deep recesses.
This magical experience is part of Cobbold Gorge Tours which shares a beautiful part of the Gulf Savannah with visitors to the area.
Cobbold Gorge is unique. It is very narrow (2m wide in places) with 20 metre high cliffs. The flat bottom boats have barely enough room to manoeuvre through the 500m watercourse. The overall length of the gorge is approximately six kilometres, though a series or rock falls and vegetation inhibit us going further.
Cobbold Gorge is fed by several springs which keep the gorge at a constant level all year. This allows boat trips to continue even in the ‘dry’. The gorge is stocked with a variety of native fish and Johnstone River Crocodiles.
Tours and Activities (April 1 to October 31)
This includes a walking visit to the grave of pioneer John Corbett and an overview of the geological history that has created the rugged sandstone formations. A walk to the top of the escarpment for freshwater crocodile viewing, along with a boat cruise through this unique waterway to experience the eerie silence and spectacular beauty of Cobbold Gorge. Hats, covered walking shoes and a small bottle of water are required.
3 hours duration.
Departs at 10:00am from Easter to October 31.
Departs 10:00am and 1:30pm over Easter then June/July/August.
Robin Hood Cattle Station Experience
Visit the cattle yards, dams and outbuildings while your guide offers rare insights into the cattle grazing industry. You’ll see firsthand the implications of today’s management and future challenges for people on the land. Relax over smoko and enjoy a cruise on Kimberley Sue Dam.
4 hours duration. (Group bookings only)
The Ultimate Outback Adventure
A special extravaganza of highlights from towering sandstone arches, Adullams shelter, stone yard, agate fossicking, grave of John Corbett and a boat cruise through Cobbold Gorge. (Includes smoko and lunch)
7.5 hours duration.
Departs 9:00am June/July/August
Self drive tracks – Agate Creek Gemfields, Gilberton Loop and The Quartz Blow. Gold Detecting at Flat Creek Station or Gilberton Station.
Agate fossicking at Agate Creek, aqua golf and canoeing in the dam at the camping area, relaxing in the infinity-swimming pool.
Cobbold Village offers an open bush setting giving a feel of warm country hospitality while staying in this idyllic location. A range of accommodation is on offer from comfortable air-conditioned rooms and cabins to powered, unpowered and ensuite powered camping.
Air-conditioned, ensuite rooms and cabins. Cobbold Village provides well appointed comfortable air-conditioned rooms. All rooms have tea/coffee making facilities and include a refrigerator and television, with microwave ovens being available in some rooms.
Camping and caravans. Cobbold Village offers a level soft camp ground with lots of trees. Our excellent amenities provide clean toilets, hot showers, laundry facilities, fresh water on tap and individual fireplaces and BBQ’s (firewood available). Caravans are welcome with powered sites and powered ensuite sites available within the camp grounds. Join the ranks of those who come for a day and stay for a week.
Your hosts, Simon and Gaye Terry invite all guests to take advantage of the amenities and facilities at Cobbold Village:
- Infinity Pool & Boomerang Bar. Relax and enjoy a refreshing swim in our inviting infinity pool. We also boast outback Queensland’s first swim up bar, Boomerang Bar.
- Corbett’s Store. Corbett’s Store stocks a range of quality souvenirs, film, disposable cameras, ice and a limited variety of grocery items. Fossicker’s permits are available for those wanting to try their luck at fossicking at Agate Creek Gemfields.
- MacDonalds Deck. MacDonalds Deck offers a fully licensed bar and restaurant providing quality home cooked meals. Light snacks/refreshments are available from our coffee bar.
- Visitor Information. Information regarding activities in the local area and forward bookings at attractions within Gulf Savannah region is available at reception. A public phone/internet connection is available for your convenience.
Self-Drive to Cobbold Gorge Camping Village for a tour of the magnificent Cobbold Gorge with an option of an overnight stay either in our caravan and camping area or take advantage of our comfortable air-conditioned accommodation.
- Thursday. From April to October departing Forsayth Prospectors Caravan Park at 10am to Cobbold Gorge for lunch and the 1.30pm Gorge Tour. Return to Forsayth approx. 5.15pm.
- Tuesday. Departing TerrEstrial Centre in Georgetown at 8am via Forsayth (8.45am) to Cobbold Gorge to join the 10am Gorge Tour. After lunch at Cobbold Camping Village, return to Forsayth 3.15pm Georgetown 4pm.
Bookings Essential – Phone 1800 669 922
Extended Tour Options
The following tour companies offer tour itineraries ex-Cairns that include Cobbold Gorge.
- Oz Tours Safaris – 7 or 9 Day Gulf Savannah fully accommodated tours. Phone 1800 079 006
- Heritage Tours – Gulf Savannah Safari. All accommodation and most meals included. Phone 1800 354 486
- Savannahlander Train – departs Cairns every Wednesday. Arrives Forsayth Thursday and transfer to Cobbold Camping Village for overnight and boat cruise Friday morning. Phone 1800 793 848
Location and Access
Cobbold Gorge is situated on Robin Hood Station, 400 kms west of Cairns and Townsville and 45 kms south of Forsayth via a council maintained gravel road. The nearest fuel stop is Georgetown or Einasleigh. Fuel is not sold at Cobbold Gorge.
An all-weather airstrip is located at the homestead, 15 kilometres from the camping village. Co-ordinates for the 1000m airstrip are 143°28’E – 18°43’S. Please phone to arrange landing clearance and transfers.