EcoGuide Certification is a national program, recognising guides who deliver an authentic, environmentally responsible and professional experience. The program is owned by Ecotourism Australia and operated by Savannah Guides.
EcoGuide benefits include:
- Practical guidance to implement sustainable practices and more meaningful experiences
- A recognised industry qualification and competitive edge in the tourism market
- Tourism industry recognition of quality ecotourism guiding, including on Ecotourism Australia’s website, Ecobytes newsletter and Savannah Guides newsletter and social media
- Certificate and use of an internationally recognised logo on your marketing material
- Networking and professional development opportunities with nature based guides and operators across Australia
- 25% discount to the annual Global ECO Conference
- Friends of Savannah Guides Membership and event discounts
- Free “work wanted” listing on Ecotourism Australia’s EcoJobs webpage
EcoGuide also provides a professional development framework for Tour Operators, Protected Area Managers and accredited training deliverers, as it can be aligned to the Certificate III in Guiding. Please contact Savannah Guides for further information.
To be eligible for EcoGuide Certification you must:
- Have at least 12 months guiding experience, OR
- Hold a guiding qualification (e.g. Certificate III or IV in Guiding) and have a minimum of 3 months full time guiding experience
The EcoGuide Certification process includes assessing:
- Generic Guiding Skills including knowledge of the tourism industry; roles and responsibilities of a guide; communication skills; safety and risk management; group management; developing and delivering tour activities; and content knowledge.
- EcoGuide Specific Skills including minimal impact principles; a commitment to ongoing professional development and respecting Indigenous culture.
To become an EcoGuide:
- Contact Savannah Guides for the editable PDF EcoGuide Workbook and pay your once only application fee ($130). You have 12 months to complete your application.
- Submit your completed workbook along with your Curriculum Vitae and current First Aid Certificate. Successful applicants become Provisional EcoGuides on payment of the $99 annual fee. Incomplete applications may be submitted a second time.
- Complete an onsite or tailored verification with an EcoGuide Assessor, that we will help you arrange. This may have an additional cost to cover Assessor expenses. Your onsite verification will require you to submit your Activity Plan and demonstrate competency in leading a tour group, presentation techniques and minimal impact guiding.
For more information download our EcoGuide Essentials summary.
Contact us now to find out more or start your EcoGuide Certification. We’ll provide support along the way to help you join Australia’s EcoGuides.