Savannah Guides Schools
Savannah Guides Schools are our workshops, bringing together tour guides, operators, Traditional Owners, National Parks Rangers, tourism and government representatives, researchers and other like-minded individuals. At least two Savannah Guides Schools are held each year at varying locations across the savannahs, featuring experts in fields such as ecology, traditional culture, land management, guiding techniques and tourism. They are usually three to four days in length with many activities in the field. We have an affordable registration fee plus accommodation and camping options to suit all participants.
Our Northern Territory Schools are proudly supported by Tourism NT and our Queensland Schools are proudly supported by Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service, and Tourism and Events Queensland.
Savannah Guides Schools help guides to maintain a high level of professionalism. Many individuals and operators use the Schools to enter the tourism industry, set staff professionalism benchmarks, refresh technical knowledge, make network contacts or simply explore a new region behind the scenes in a fun, educational setting. Sharing knowledge is a key part of our ethos and everyone is welcome at a Savannah Guides School.
Some participant comments:
“I came to the School not knowing what to expect and as a real novice I was blown away by how welcoming and willing to share knowledge everyone was – couldn’t recommend this event highly enough.”
“The Savannah Guides School has been the best value for money workshop I have ever attended. The opportunities for deep and genuine cross cultural learning were an absolute highlight.”
“The experience is great – relevant and practical. It has been very valuable for an organisation rep who is a non-guide and first-timer.”
Participating in a School is the best way to consider whether Savannah Guides can support your professional development, networks or skills. School participation is an element in becoming a member of Savannah Guides, should individuals or enterprises wish to pursue this opportunity.
The next Savannah Guides Schools will be held in:
Longreach and Winton, Queensland: 1-4 April 2017
Join Savannah Guides Enterprises Outback Aussie Tours, Red Dirt Tours and Australian Age of Dinosaurs in pre-season training on their home turf, examining Outback Queensland landscapes and our incredible dinosaur heritage.
DETAILS AVAILABLE HERE: Info and Rego Form – Winton.
Cobbold Gorge, Queensland: 6-9 April 2017
Explore Cobbold Gorge, 2016’s multi Outback and Queensland Tourism Award winner. We’ll start at Forsayth, have fun on the Savannahlander, visit Flat Creek Station and look at a range of guiding techniques in these spectacular settings.
DETAILS AVAILABLE HERE: Info and Rego Form – Cobbold Gorge
We hope to see you there!
To kept up to date with upcoming Savannah Guides Schools and Workshops please subscribe to our newsletter. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Past Guide Schools Savannah Guides Schools have been held at:
- Cooktown QLD: 27-30 October 2016
- Broome WA: 22-24 April 2016
- Adels Grove 15-18 October 2015
- Undara Qld: 26-29 March 2015
- El Questro WA: 9-12 October 2014
- Winton Qld: 20-22 March 2014
- Alice Springs NT: 12-15 October 2013
- Chillagoe Qld: 18-21 April 2013
- Nitmiluk National Park NT: 1-4 November 2012
- Capricorn Caves Qld 12-15 April 2012
- Mount Bundy NT – 27-30 October 2011
- Darwin NT: 24-27 March 2011
- Tropical Tablelands Qld: 28-31 October 2010
- Undara Experience Qld: 18-21 March 2010
- Darwin NT: 19-22 Nov 2009
- Darwin NT: Savannah Symposium 17-21 Nov 2009
- Winton Qld: 26-29 Mar 2009
- Katherine NT: 6-9 Nov 2008
- Cobbold Gorge Qld: 27-30 March 2008
- Cape York Qld: Oct 29 to Nov 2 2007
- Kakadu National Park NT: 12-15 April 2007
- Townsville Qld: 27-30 October 2006
- Mary River Park NT: 1-4 April 2006
- Cairns Qld: 17-20 November 2005
- Lake Bennett NT: 07-10 April 2005
- Mt Surprise & Cobbold Gorge Qld: 16-19 March 2005
- Kununurra WA: 04-07 November 2004
- Longreach and Australia’s Dinosaur Trail: 11-14 March 2004
- Darwin NT: November 2003
- Cooktown Qld: 3-6 April 2003
- Katherine NT: 10-13 April 2003
- Undara Experience Qld: 14-17 November 2002
- Pine Creek NT: 11-14 April 2002
- Adel’s Grove Qld: 25-28 April 2002
- Kakadu National Park NT: 22-25 November 2001
- Mt. Surprise Qld: 26-29 April 2001
- El Questro WA: 5-8 April 2001
- Longreach Qld: 26-29 October 2000
- Mount Borradaile, Arnhem Land NT: 28-30 April 2000
- Mareeba Wetlands Qld: 6-9 April 2000
- Katherine NT: 28-31 October 1999
- Normanton Qld: 15-18 April 1999
- Mataranka NT: October 1998
- Undara Qld: April 1998
- Tyrconnell Qld: October 1997
- Hells Gate Qld: 18-20 April 1997
- Lawn Hill Qld: October 1996
- Cobbold Gorge Qld: April 1996